Saturday, January 27, 2018

Focus and Balance



This week, three events have caused me to think about the importance of focus and balance in life.  Our grandson David is at the point of riding his bike where he can balance and start riding all by himself.  He no longer requires a parent or curb to help him get started.  In order to ride safely, David is also learning the importance of focusing on where he is going.

In preparation for the Winter Olympics, the athletes are practicing and competing in time trials.  Last week I briefly saw some of the ski races on television.  At times it seemed like the skiers were almost skiing sideways going down the slopes.  They had an amazing sense of keeping their balance and focusing on the position of the poles and finish line.  Any loss of concentration could have caused a fall.

One of the challenges of MS, for me, is taking precautions to keep my balance.  When I am walking with the aid of my walker, I need to focus and look forward.  I have learned that it is best when speaking to someone that I stop before turning to look at the person.  Otherwise, I run the risk of stumbling off balance.  Even more important than keeping my physical balance is to make sure that every day I am keeping my focus on Jesus and balancing my time and activities in ways that bring Him honor and glory.

Let your eyes look straight ahead;
     fix your gaze directly before you.
Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
     and be steadfast in all of your ways.
Proverbs 4:25-26

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment