Saturday, January 6, 2018

Words of Wisdom



Last week, on a very cold Sunday afternoon, my sisters and I met at the facility where Mom lives to spend time with her.   When we were leaving to go home, one of my sisters noticed that I didn’t have my coat with me.  Since Larry let me out and picked me up at the drive through by the door, I left my coat in the car so as not to have to keep up with it while visiting.  I did assure her that I had a coat in the car.  We both remembered and recalled Daddy instructing us that even if we didn’t want to wear a coat we should be prepared in case the car had a flat tire and we needed to stand outside in the cold waiting for the tire to be changed.  I’m grateful that those words of wisdom, along with a plethora of others, have been taught, heard, learned, applied, and are still being practiced today.

It seems that the starting of a new year offers one ample opportunities to be surrounded by offers of wisdom and new beginnings.  The following are a few of the words I have read or heard advice from this first week of 2018: the Bible, a pastor, friends, people I have yet to meet, and even words of wisdom from an obituary. 

Six ethics of Life:
Before you Pray       -     Believe.
Before you Speak     -     Listen.
Before you Spend    -     Earn.
Before you Write     -     Think.
Before you Quit       -     Try.
Before you Die         -     Live.
The Oldtimers

“You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” – C.S. Lewis

“Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“We were not made to spread heat, but to shine the light.” – Duane Brooks

“We need to be not merely receivers of God’s gifts but active conduits of their treasure.” – Jeannette Clift George

“…on the wind of the Holy Spirit many of us find ourselves serving surprising assignments.  Trust God’s assignments.  He never assigns us to do what He has not already equipped us to do.” – Jeannette Clift George

“I want to learn my craft, compete with the best of them, and serve my Lord with the excellence He gives me.” – Jeannette Clift George

Words of wisdom can be taught and shared in a myriad of ways, but it’s up to each person to reason through, take to heart, and put into practice what they learn in order to make a difference in the way one lives.  May we be wise in discerning the words we choose to believe and act upon.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
Psalm 111:10

As water reflects the face,
   so one’s life reflects the heart.
Proverbs 27:19

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Ephesians 4:22-24

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.
James 1:5

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment