Saturday, February 23, 2019

"Alexa..."


Our sons are very thoughtful in helping us keep up with technology and other items that they think will make life easier or more enjoyable for us.  Thus, a few years ago Larry and I received an Alexa for a Christmas gift.  Now, at a moment’s notice, we can ask and find out the temperature at home or elsewhere, find answers to questions, and hear songs played by a favorite artist or radio station.  It also means I can easily listen to Christmas music all year long.  The boys have also set up Alexa to have the lights turned on/off on command as well as the thermostat changed to the desired temperature.  It amazes me that people have programmed a way for Alexa to produce the answer to an inquiry in a split second.

A few Alexa observations…
* Speaks in a pleasant and respectful voice
* Admits when she does not know the answer
* Consistent with responses
* Patient with repeated requests
* Saves time and effort when checking temperature and other trivia
* Responds with head knowledge, but not heart and feelings
* Can play a song or recite information within seconds
* Gives without asking for or expecting anything in return

Before any of the above happens, one must speak Alexa’s name and wait for the light ring to display that one has her attention before asking a question or making a request.  It made me wonder how often God calls my name and respectfully waits for me to acknowledge Him so He can reveal the beneficial information I need in order to respond to a situation or opportunity.  Unlike Alexa, God is always ready to hear, respond at a moment’s notice, and knows the answer to everything.

I call on the Lord in my distress, and he answers me.
Psalm 120:1

When I called, you answered me; you greatly emboldened me.
Psalm 138:3

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.
Jeremiah 33:3

No comments:

Post a Comment