Saturday, June 29, 2019

Gifts of Life


The tongue has the power of life and death,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.
Proverbs 18:21

Ansley Roan, my cousin, posted questions she had been thinking about after hearing her pastor’s message at church.  They are worthy of repeating and pondering as well.

* What does the tone and intention of my message convey to my children?
* If someone else spoke to my kids or husband the way I speak to them, how would I feel about that?
* If the words that come out of my mouth were written into a novel, what would the story tell?

* What would change this week if I allowed Jesus to flow through me?
* Who will I speak life into today?  This week?
* Words have the power of life and of death.  Are the words I’m speaking giving life or bringing death?

May I, too, choose to be intentional about every word I speak, my tone of voice, and my message.  May every word bring pleasure and glory to God.  And may my words be a gift of encouragement and life to others.

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart.  For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
Luke 6:45

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

The tongue of the righteous is choice silver, but the heart of the wicked is of little value.
Proverbs 10:20

The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
Proverbs 12:18

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.                                                                                                                       
Proverbs 16:24

Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues.
Proverbs 17:28

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:29

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.
James 1:26

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.
James 3:9-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment