Saturday, February 10, 2024

Super Bowl LVIII

Key athletes, playing in Super Bowl LVIII, continue to use the game of football as their platform to share about their relationship with Jesus.  Recently, Peyton Garland wrote an article, for Crosswalk.com, mentioning 8 Christian athletes who will be playing in the football game this Sunday.  Below are some highlights.

#15 Patrick Mahomes   Kansas City   Quarterback

“My life legacy isn’t wrapped in my career, but in my relationship with Jesus.  I’ve been able to come back and really develop this relationship that’s been able to let me go out there and play free and not worry about the moment of the success and or the failure.  So that’s been my walk and I’ll continue to walk and do whatever I can to strengthen my relationship with Him.”

 

#13 Brock Purdy   San Fransisco   Quarterback

“My identity isn’t in football.  I know who I am and God if you want me to do great with (football), great.  If not, all right, let’s go do something else, wherever you need me.”

 

#23 Christian McCaffrey   San Francisco   Running back

McCaffrey is constantly praying on the field.  “My main prayers are not only for all of the athletes’ safety, but that they play the game in an ‘honorable way.’  I realize the incredible gift I have been given and want my prayer life to reflect a heart of gratitude.”

 

#7 Harrison Butker   Kansas City   Kicker

“[God] is the most important thing.  If I didn’t have faith in God, I don’t think I’d be the father I am, the husband I am, the kicker I am.  That kind of sets the tone and everything else falls under that, but that gives me the strength to do everything I need to do.  I know I’m a child of God and He’s going to protect me.  And maybe that protection comes with some suffering, but that’s what’s best for me and I gotta accept that suffering and grow as best I can with that.  I always pray for God’s will to be done.”

 

#91 Arik Armstead   San Francisco   Defensive end

More than all the awards, stats, achievements, and nominations, Armstead prizes, “my faith in Christ.”  Bob Bailin, his pastor, says “[Armstead] is such a genuine believer in Christ that he’s really going to do it his way.  He’s going to do it Christ’s way.”

 

#32 Nick Bolton   Kansas City   Linebacker

Bolton thanks Christ for the platform he has been given.  “I don’t think a lot of things in life would happen without God.  God blessed me with the ability to have my mom, my family, my support system around me.  I grew up with both my parents.  A lot of people don’t have that opportunity.”

 

#31 Tashaun Gipson   San Francisco   Safety

Tashaun is quick to give God glory.  “It’s just glory to God because I came into the right situation at the right time.  And everything just worked out in God’s plan.  Without him, this wouldn’t be possible.”

 

#38 L’Jarius Sneed   Kansas City   Cornerback

Three games into his rookie season, Sneed fractured his collarbone.  He used that time to grow in his faith with God.  “First of all, I started off by praying with God.  It was hard on my mental, you know, how I started off.  Plus, me trying to come back and maintain that same image that I put out.  But with God, anything is possible.  So I kept my faith in God.”  After a recent game Sneed tweeted, “God I thank you.”

 

And may we be faithful to use the platforms God has given each one of us to share His message and bring Him glory.

 

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for compiling these statements. It is a wonderful reminder of what is possible with God as your focus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just made this Super Bowl Sunday so much better. God is empowering these men to be His soldiers not just on the gridiron, but in the world.

    ReplyDelete