Saturday, May 4, 2019

Hearts in Action



“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” ~ Paulo Coelho


“Our days will be better when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.” ~ Toby Mac


“You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you.  What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” ~ Jane Goodall


Brad’s Bar-B-Que is a popular place to eat in Oxford, Alabama.  One evening in April, Eleanor Baker, 80 years young, ate there and declared her visit “a God thing.  I think God sent me there.”

Eleanor is a widow who lives alone.  Although she has a big family, most of them live out of town.  So that night she went to eat barbecue by herself.  About the same time as Mrs. Baker arrived, three young men in their 20’s also entered the restaurant and were seated at a table.  As the evening progressed, Jamario Howard noticed Eleanor was by herself.  His friend stated, “When most of us see someone eating alone we feel that way, but our sympathy never solves anything.  And Jamario really wanted to fix this, so he got up from his table and sat at hers.”

After introductions, Eleanor and Jamario struck up a conversation.  The other two young men soon joined them and they had dinner together.  Tae Knight and JaMychol Baker enjoyed Eleanor’s company as much as she enjoyed theirs.  JaMychol commented that, “When you make that kind of connection with somebody, it’s hard to let it go.”  They all promised to keep in touch.  The four now make a point to keep up and spend time together.  The young men say Mrs. Baker treats them like grandchildren.

Jamario concluded, “I used to say when I was younger, and I still say today, I want to change the world somehow.  And I don’t know how.  I’m not rich.  I’m not famous.  And I’m not very smart either, so I can’t be president.  But it’s alright to be kind.  And then, before long, maybe the world will be a much better place.”

Thank you for your example Jamario, Eleanor, Tae and JaMychol.  May I, too, have eyes that see, ears that hear, and a heart that responds.

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’”
Matthew 25:40

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment