Saturday, June 26, 2021

Legacy

 

“At the end of life what really matters is not what we bought, but what we built; not what we got, but what we shared; not our competence, but our character; and not our success, but our significance.  Live a life that matters.  Live a life of love.” ~ Author Unknown

 

 

With the loss of friends, during these past few months, the importance of leaving a legacy has been fresh on my mind.  Shared stories and memories were sweet reminders that what one invests in others will live on after they are gone.  Then a dear friend wrote and shared a poem that expresses the influence, impact, and gift of legacies.

When our son, Brad, was in the Corps at Texas A & M, one of his buddies was asked, “If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be and why?”  After a pause, he replied: “My great grandson, so I could see how my legacy has been passed on.”   It’s never too early to begin to think about, act on, and intentionally build the legacy that one wants to leave behind for future generations. 

 

 

"Legacy"

~ Tamara Harbert

 

Familiar eyes, familiar faces,

In pictures taken in familiar places.

Those sweet souls who have gone before,

Surround me, but in life no more.

 

Now behind glass in wooden frames,

Is my own cloud of witnesses sharing a name.

When burdens are great and I fall behind,

Their steady gaze says “you’re doing just fine”.

 

My audience has a front row seat,

To our daily victories and defeats-

And when I’m convinced I can’t get it right,

I see them and think – “you did, so can I”.

 

The map that they left won’t lead me astray,

Just walk with the Father day after day.

And someday in heaven, I hope they will see.

The evidence of their legacy.

 

Each generation that follows the last,

Leaves new footprints, a guide from the past.

So as you’re walking make sure to take heed,

Your children’s children will follow your lead.

 

 

In the song, “Find us Faithful,” Steve Green challenges us:

 

O may all who come behind us

Find us faithful,

May the fire of our devotion

Light their way.

May the footprints that we leave,

Lead them to believe,

And the lives we live

Inspire them to obey.

O may all who come behind us

Find us faithful.

 

When it’s all said and done, may our legacy be that our relationship with Jesus is what made a difference in the way we chose to love, encourage, give to, and invest in others.  And may those who come behind us find us faith full.

 

 

But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever,

     the purposes of his heart through all generations.

Psalm 33:11

 

Even when I am old and gray,

     do not forsake me, my God,

till I declare your power to the next generation,

     your mighty acts to all who are to come.

Psalm 71:18

 

I will sing of the LORD’s great love forever;

     with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known

     through all generations.

Psalm 89:1

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Debbie. And a great reminder. I love this and I love you.

    ReplyDelete