Saturday, June 5, 2021

Lesson in Humanity

Jesse, known as a drifter, lives near a bridge in Sweden.  He has a bike, bird, and a few items that he keeps in a bag.  Tony Briggs, as well as others, pass by Jesse often.  Even though he is a regular at that location, many never acknowledge him much less engage in a conversation.

 Recently, Tony was riding his bike to the beach, which is about 5 km from his house.  Along the way, the bike blew out a tire.  Not having a spare, Briggs made the decision to turn around and begin the long trek home.  Many people passed by, but none said anything or offered to help.  As he got closer to the bridge, Jesse called out, “I don’t want anything, but I’ve got a new tube in my bag and you can have it if ya want it.”  Tony refused, but Jesse insisted that he take it.  The two guys walked over to a grassy spot where the bird lived in a broken cage.  Jesse reached in his bag, gave the tire to Tony, helped him change it and then inflated the tire.  Tony kept trying to pay Jesse, knowing the tire was one of the very few possessions he owned.  He told Tony, “Don’t worry about it bro, this is what it’s all about.”  

 

Briggs was humbled by Jesse’s response.  He had so little, but freely gave what he had.  Jesse wasn’t even concerned with how he would replace the tire, in case he needed it in the future.

 

Before going home, Tony bought Jesse some new sunglasses, tennis shoes, and food.  He also bought several weeks’ worth of groceries as well as seed for the bird.  Jesse was overwhelmed with the gifts.  Briggs contemplated, “Man he was ecstatic even had tears in his eyes and couldn’t thank me enough, but amidst me sitting there proud of my good deed, and him singing me praises, I suddenly felt pretty bad because the truth is if he didn’t go out of his way to help me, I wouldn’t have done anything for him.”

 

“I ride past this guy all the time and never even think twice!  Really knocked me off my high horse.  Even tho we sit around with all our materialistic needs and pass judgment, this dude has something that none of us can buy.  I guess what I’m trying to say is thanks for the lesson in humanity champ!”

 

This week, may we seize the opportunities to see, hear, notice, minister to and love others with God’s heart so we, too, can experience “what it’s all about.”

 

 

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

1 John 4:7

 

For we are taking pains to do what is right, not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of man.

2 Corinthians 8:21

 

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:17

 

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Hebrews 4:13

 

No comments:

Post a Comment