Saturday, August 17, 2024

Paris Olympics 2024 Golden Moments

 

“Getting to know Jesus was a turning point in my life.  I’ve experienced hope, confidence, and peace, through the Olympics, and through life.  Jesus is always with you.”

~ Annette Echikunwoke, USA Silver Medalist, Hammer Throw

 

“What I have in Christ is far greater than what I don’t have in life.  He has prepared me for a moment such as this.  That I may use the gifts He has given me to point all the attention back to him.”  “Records come and go, the glory of God is eternal.  I no longer run for self-recognition, but to reflect His perfect will that is already set in stone.  I don’t deserve anything.  But by grace, through faith, Jesus has given me everything.  I credit all that I do to God.  Regardless of what has happened He’s going to get praise through me.”

~ Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, USA Gold Medalist, 400m hurdles

 

“My identity isn’t a golf score…I believe in Jesus, that’s what defines me the most.”

Scottie Scheffler, USA Gold Medalist, Golf

 

Harvard University degree in neurobiology and global health

Master’s degree in Epidemiology from University of Texas

Volunteers at a clinic for the uninsured in Texas

Hopes to run a hospital to provide healthcare for those in need

“Who I am off the track has always come first.  Your sport is not who you are.  I hope when they look at me and they see what I do, they’re inspired to work hard.  They’re inspired to be kind to people and to give back to their communities when they can.  If I can leave that message with the world, then I’ve done my job.”

~ Gabby Thomas, USA Gold Medalist, 200m, 4x100 meters relay, 4x400meters relay

 

When interviewed, a reporter stated that Yemisi Ogunleye was in a gospel choir and asked what song she was thinking about as she waited to throw.  Instead of just mentioning the title of the song, “I Almost Let Go,” by Kurt Carr, she sang it!

“So I’m here today because God kept me

I’m alive today only because of His grace

Oh He kept me, God kept me

God’s mercy kept me

He kept me so I wouldn’t let go”

Yemisi Ogunleye, Germany Gold Medalist, Shot Put

 

When she was a teenager, Lola Anderson wrote in her diary, in pink highlighter, “My name is Lola Anderson and I think it would be my biggest dream in life to go to the Olympics and represent Team GB in rowing and, if possible, win a gold medal.”  Feeling like she was being cocky, Lola threw her entry in the trash.    Her father, Don, a rower himself, retrieved the crumpled-up piece of paper and saved it.  Seven years later he gave it to his daughter, two months before he died of cancer.  Lola won gold in the Paris Olympics and credits her dad for the inspiration.  Danielle Sherman-Lazar reminded, “Parents. You have a lasting impact.  What you say becomes what your children think.  If you believe in them, they’ll believe in themselves – and they could win gold.  You should be the reason they always try.  It matters.”

~ Lola Anderson, Great Britain Gold Medalist, Women’s quadruple Sculls

 

And whatever we do, may it be for God’s glory! 

 

Not to us, Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness.

Psalm 115:1

 

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment